What causes a colorless, smooth lump on the roof of the mouth?

Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: My dentist noticed a colorless, smooth, low-rise lump on the roof of my mouth that appeared like around, red dot under the Verscope. She actually said she would not have seen the lump unless she had used the scope. I have noticed an asymmetry on the roof of my mouth for some time, but have not noticed any pain or problems, nor has it gotten more pronounced. She asked if I had eaten anything extremely hot or possibly hurt the roof of my mouth and I couldn't recall anything in particular. She wants to wait two weeks and check again, then refer me to an oral surgeon. What are the possibilities and can people have asymmetric palates or bumps that are harmless?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be due to many reasons like infection , trauma , salivary glands.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX ,

Thanks for consulting Healthcaremagic .
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query .

I have read your query and understand your concern . As far as colorless , smooth lump on roof of mouth is concerned it could be due to numerous causes like Infection from upper tooth or Gum infection , Trauma , or it can be related to minor palatal salivary gland present in palate .
Can you upload the image of lump that will be more helpful for me to arrive at conclusion and give you proper diagnosis and treatment plan .
Based on details provided I will suggest you to maintain proper oral hygiene , Do warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day , Avoid hot and spicy food.

Awating for pictures to comment further .

Hope I this will help you .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad