What causes a collapsed sigmoid colon?
It is usually normal observation, please upload CT report for confirmation
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. The sigmoid colon is the large bowel which is above the rectum. The function of sigmoid colon is to store the feces.
2. When doing CT scan patients are usually given rectal contrast enema to distend the sigmoid colon.
3. Some patients cannot hold the enema and therefore have a collapsed sigmoid colon.
4. Few patients can have any empty colon due to recent passage of stools or diarthea.
5. Patients with a proximal colon obstruction can also have a collapsed sigmoid colon. This is usually mentioned in the report.
It is important to go through your entire CT scan report to know if your collapsed sigmoid colon is normal or from any proximal colon obstruction. If your colonoscopy is normal then the collapsed sigmoid colon is probably a normal observation.
Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the side effects of sigmoid colon removal
- Stuck to bladder sigmoid colon
- Sigmoid colon injury causes
- Can tummy tuck cause sigmoid colon problems
- Sigmoid colon abnormal mucosa
- Sigmoid colon pain causes
- Diverticular disease sigmoid colon
- Ovaries in relation to sigmoid colon
- What does abnormal mucosa in the sigmoid colon mean
- Sigmoid colon cancer