What causes a cold sore at the corner of the mouth and dysentery?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 8 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had severe dysentery and a clod sore on the corner of my mouth for 5 days now. Any medication suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
rehydration fluids, probiotics, abreva or zovirax

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The cold sore is due to the herpes virus that affects the mouth, this is herpes 1. It is very very common and it is present in a large majority of the population.

When the immune system is impaired/not working well, then this infection can show itself.
Your immune system would be impaired because of the severe dysentery.

Abreva or zovirax cream, can be used to help treat the cold sore.

The abreva is over the counter but zovirax would require a prescription.

Probiotics either their own or with certain yogurts would help to heal the colon and speed up recovery.
On their own, they are normally available in packets.

When 4 hours pass with no diarrhea, start using very small amounts of dry foods such as toast or biscuits or plain rice.
If these are tolerated, then you can increase the amounts slowly and vary the food types.

It is good that you are using a lot of fluids, this would prevent and treat any dehydration that is present though you should consider either oral rehydration salts solutions or sport drinks instead of only water

Diarrhea causes loss of fluids and electrolytes (salts) from the body, water only gives back the fluid not the electrolytes.

There are medications to stop diarrhea but it is normally best , in most cases, to let it run its course.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 days later
I have been taking the sports drinks and probiotics. My bowel movements are still very loose but my output is now dark green - almost like canned spinach. I still can't keep anything in. Everything I drink or eat moves on through in a matter of hours. On a positive note, the Abreva is working on the cold sore.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
because the bile does not have the chance to undergo changes

Detailed Answer:
HI

The brown color of stool is due to changes that occur to the bile as it passes through the colon.
When a person has frequent bowel movements, the bile does not have the chance to undergo the various changes and the stool can have a green color.

When your bowel movements slow down then they should start to appear brown again.

If the bowel movements are really bothersome then you may want to try pepto bismol to see if this helps.
As stated, we normally let it run its course unless it is very severe

Please feel free to ask anything else