What causes a cluster of itchy bumps on the arm?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a number of what look like bites. Also smaller bumps that seem to be spreading,

Only on one arm near the shoulder. It is extremely itchy to the point I am waking up in the middle of the night

scracthing . I have tried cortison, benedryl, other topical creams, ice and essential oils but they only help for

a bit. I have had this for a number of weeks.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lichen urticatus most probably

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM...

I read history and saw the photo. It seems that probably you may be having lichen urticatus. It is considered to be hypersensitive reaction to insects..like bedbug,flea or other.

I would suggest...

- steroids in tappering dose for few weeks
- Antihistaminics like levocetirizine till itch is relieved
- antibiotics if needed
- apply mild steroid with gentamycine cream on the lesions
- avoid the exposure to insects
- avoid soap bath
kindly consult a dematologist for further evaluation
I hope this would help you.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar