What causes a chronic white spot at the base of the penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
So I asked this before I am have hpv and have had a white spot on the base of my penis head for a few years. red and white. I am not circumsized and I stay very clean. I have no pain or discharge or it's not itchy. Just wondering what it may be.
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out possibility of Lichen Simplex et Atrophicus

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.

The texture looks a bit different - it's more wrinkly. I would like to rule out the possibility of Lichen Simplex et Atrophicus (LSeA). Perhaps it is.

I'd suggest you visit your dermatologist for a check.

If it is LSeA I would suggest you use a topical moderately potent steroid cream e.g mometasone furoate 0.1% cream or triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% cream, twice daily. These are prescription based medications (steroids).

Follow-up: What causes a chronic white spot at the base of the penis? 15 minutes later
Thank u doc and I will get in contact with a Dermatologist. my main concern was o boy i got cancer. but having it so long and it looks good one say and bad the other I didn't know if it was. I will contact a Dermatologist but if it dosnt look like cancer to you it take a bit of a load off my mind.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly it is LSeA

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Certainly this is not a cancer.

Follow-up: What causes a chronic white spot at the base of the penis? 2 days later
thank u doc you guys are wonderful here.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for writing to us

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Follow-up: What causes a chronic white spot at the base of the penis? 24 hours later
this is what it looks like on a bad day. If your sure it's not cancer it puts my mind at ease. as I said it changes.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use a topical steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I have viewed the images.
Looks like a dry, red, scaly patch - looks more like a dermatitis. In fact doesn't look like LSeA as I earlier suspected.
It is certainly not a cancer.
I suggest you to use an OTC topical steroid cream e.g cortisone cream (1% hydrocortisone), twice daily.

Follow-up: What causes a chronic white spot at the base of the penis? 16 minutes later
am I able to get this cream or is it prescription

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone cream is not a prescription steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Cortisone cream is available over the counter.

Follow-up: What causes a chronic white spot at the base of the penis? 25 hours later
being uncircumcised when I apply it is it ok for the foreskin to be over top of it

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding application of cortisone cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, it is fine to apply cortisone cream under the foreskin.