What causes a bump on the back of the neck?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I'm 37 yr old male,I have a bump on the back of my neck that I've had my entire life recently it started hurting me and is causing chest pain that stops me in my tracks.What do I do??
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you i would like to tell you that i dont think there will be any corelation between the bump on the back of your neck and chest pain.

However as you are experiencing chest pain so its advisable that you should get basic cardiac screening test done.

1. ECG
2. Echocardiography
3. Tread Mill Test (Stress Test)

If all these tests comes out to be normal then cardiac origin of your chest pain will be ruled out which is more important in any case having chest pain. If a person smoke, have diabetes or hypertension or high cholesterol levels or family history of heart ailment then cardiac evaluation become even more important.

Regarding the bump on neck i would like to suggest you to consult your doctor for physical examination of the swelling and evaluation accordingly.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap