What causes a bump on gums?

Posted on Thu, 9 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: A few weeks ago I noticed with my tongue a large bump on my gum. The bump has decreased in size, but it feels like something squishy is inside that I can push out with my tongue, but it fills back up soon after. My gum was very sore a few weeks back.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Abscess, infection, ulceration should be looked for.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Primary infection of the gum, Periodontal abscess or gum swelling/ bump with respect to adjoining tooth infection are some of the possibilities, based on your description. In case of an abscess or tooth infection your dentist would need to clean the area or do a root canal treatment based on the findings. One would also need to examine the tongue for any suspected aphthous ulceration that would require local anesthetic , B 12 supplementation and/or doxycycline. If the squishy bump persists then it would need excision and sent for histopathological examination.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil