What causes a bruise on the sole of the feet?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question:
Upon occasion I will get what I describe as a bruise on the bottom of my heal, it usually goes away in a few days. I have one now on the bottom of my right heal that has persisted for a couple of weeks. Indeed, I don't know if it is a bruise, or a stress fracture of a small bone, or a bone spur. As is typical of this situation in the past, I don't recall any specific injury to my heal that corresponds with this injury.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Soft padded sole needs to be used at all times.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Irrespective of whether it is a bruise, it is quite apparent that the pressure distribution on the sole of your feet is not proper. The resultant improper distribution of pressure is causing those and was probably responsible for the stress fracture or a bony spur formation. No discrete episode of injury is necessary in such a case. You need to use a soft soled (a sole that reconfigures its shape based on the shape of your foot) shoe, preferably with silicone padding. You may visit a podiatrist for the same.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Hi, I never had a bone spur or stress fracture (that I know of) on my heel, I was just speculating as to that. I will go to my doctor today and request an x-ray. Yes, I agree, I need proper padding.

Sorry I spelled heel incorrectly, it was the middle of the night.

Thank you,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can get an X ray done

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. An X Ray will clarify the present situation. A better padding should solve most of your problems. No issues about the spelling error; it can happen with anybody.

Feel free to write back.