What causes a bruise on the right breast?

General Surgeon
Question
I have had a bruise on my right breast for a week. It doesn't hurt to touch and I'm not sure how I got it, maybe one of my kids elbowed me. It's not fading, but it went from reddish/Brown to now purple and yellow. However, in the past 3 days it hasn't changed at all. (Still purple spots and no fading) I'm worried about inflammatory breast cancer. I have no other symptoms though. No dimpling of skin, no redness or itching. Is just a bruise alone a sign of ibc or breast cancer? How long should it take for the bruise to go away? Its already been a week. Should I see a doctor or wait?
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No signs of breast cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

There is no reason to suspect breast cancer and especially inflammatory breast cancer. There is no sign of inflammation at all. You have regular bruises. Please note that bruise is a red blood cells outside the blood vessels. Unfortunately red blood cells contain Iron so it is not easy to remove them from such area. It takes 3 weeks and during that time bruise gradually (not so rapidly) changes colors.
In my opinion, if there is no palpable tumor, you should wait and see two more weeks.

Hope this helps.
Regards.