What causes a bruise on the right breast?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had a bruise on my right breast for 4 days. It doesn't hurt to touch and I'm not sure how I got it, maybe one of my kids elbowed me. It's not fading, but it went from reddish/Brown to now purple and some yellow. It's not fading at all though. I'm worried about inflammatory breast cancer. I have no other symptoms though. No dimpling of skin, no redness or itching. Is just a bruise alone a sign of ibc? How long should it take for the bruise to go away? Should I see a doctor or wait?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A bruise may take 2 weeks to resolve

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have noted your concern.
A bruise may take up to 2 weeks to fade away. The color changes that you see is pretty normal - red/ brown- purple - green - yellow as the hemoglobin breaks down to colored pigments like bilverdin, bilirubin and hemosiderin etc and resorbed. I think you should wait for 2 weeks. You may take a vitamin C supplement once daily.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
So, does ibc present this way? Or would I have other symptoms as well?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just a bruise

Detailed Answer:
hi

An inflammatory breast cancer usually presents as red, tender and swollen breast rather than a symptomless and resolving bruise like changes. This is most likely due to trauma.