• question-icon

What causes a bruise on the left side of the neck after strangulation?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was strangled at age 17. I never sought treatment. I ended up with numerous emotional and neurological upset. Surgery done on 2 vertebrae in Dec. 2013. A couple vertebrae were actually pushed towards the back of my neck!!. My entire neckbone was moved slightly off center, slightly pushed to one side. This was found 21 years later in an x ray. I was shocked. I also never told anyone what happened for 33 years. I stopped breathing, but I don't know for how long. The attack was so swift and brutal, I never had a chance to defend myself. This was done to me only 2 weeks after meeting the person. It turned out the individual was seriously disturbed. How is it, I survived? How was that thin hyoid bone not crushed in the process? But the bones behind it so manipulated? Bigger thicker bones? I ended up with a gigantic bruise on the left side of my neck. From the palm of the hand along side of fingertip bruises. I couldn't turn my head to the right at all, the next morning. Do you have any answers as to how I even survived it? I'm a little confused. Thanx
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyoid bone in strangulation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

The angulation of force and type of hypid bone is the key to this question.

In hyoids of strangulation cases, shape and rigidity of the hyoid determines whether it fractures or not. Degree of ossification and fusion also plays a role. Only in 1/3rd individuals of strangulation cases the hyoid gets fractured due to the above reasons.

Hope this helps explain it.

wishing you best of health

Thanks
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil