• question-icon

What causes a bruise in the pubic region?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I just noticed a bruise near my private area (near the pubic hair/underwear line wondering if you can confirm it is indeed a bruise or needs attention

Noticed a bruise near my privates/pubic area
Want yo confirn it is a bruise or sonething that needs more attention
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Yes, that appears to be a bruise. If you are having pain inside in the area (beyond just having tenderness in the bruised skin), then I would recommend going in to be seen by a doctor. Otherwise, most likely you had some sort of force (ran into something or were poked or pressed by something) which caused the capillaries in the skin to bleed. It looks like there is already a bit of greenish discoloration at the top of the bruised area and this is normal as it resolves. The pigments in blood can cause it to first be deep red then shortly after - dark purple, then greenish, then brown. Eventually your body will clean all of that up but it can take time. During that time, any mixture of those colors can occur.

I am assuming the area is discolored but flat (or slightly swollen but even). If it is not flat but is raised, then do go in to be seen as in that case it could be something else.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
Thank you i tend to stress over little things! After u sent this i realized i had been lifting heavy boxes and probably using that area as a pressing point! There is nothing raised and no pain
Thank you for your expertise
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I'm glad to help where I can.
Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh MD
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh