What causes a brown discolouration on chest area after shaving?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've had this discoloration on my chest for some time now (over a year). I shaved a little bit so you could see it.I was wondering what is possibly could be.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Becker's nevus need to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Image

I can see a very faint macular hyperpigmentation on chest (righ side). I would like to keep a possibility of a Becker's Nevus. However, I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to guide you better..

Is this area more hairy as compared to the other side?and is the hair a little more coarse over it as compared to other side of chest?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 31 minutes later
I'm very hair on my chest and back I haven't noticed it being any thicker then the ther side of my chest but both sides are think it might be by a little bit. I just noticed this brown patch has been there for quite some time. No other place on body. Is there possible treatment for the discoloration? I go to a dermatologist annually for skin cancer screening I forgot to mention this discoloration too him.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
A pigment laser would be required for a becker's nevus

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Becker's nevus is a plausible explanation for this long standing pigmentation on anterior chest. In early nevus, hair growth may not be very different from the normal side but later on the growth may become coarse and thick.
I suggest that you get a confirmation from your dermatologist as close inspection would be able to confirm or rule out this possibility. A becker's nevus is just a cosmetic problem and usually no treatment is required. However, Q switched Nd:YAG Laser can be tried.