What causes a bony or muscular protrusion on the head area of a 4-month-old toddler?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

I have a 4 months old son. I found that he has a bump (Not sure if it bony or muscular but looks mostly muscular to me) on his head. I attached a picture of the head. I am worried if this is something of a concern or if this will resolve on its own with the age. Request for your advice.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and have checked the attached image. Let me assure you that I understand your concerns and that there is nothing to worry. The bump is the glabellar prominence which can be observed in many growing children. It is not a cause for concern. Nothing needs to be done about it.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj