What causes a bloodshot sclera in the left eye, severe cough and cold?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
I woke up this morning to my left eye being totally red, a dark, solid red, in the white of my eye. It is only red on the side of my white that is close to my nose. Pulling down my lower eyelid reveals that it fades to white at about the center of my eye. I am 67 years old, still work 4 days a week as a short haul truck driver, I have had a cold for the last 2 weeks that involves strong coughing, lots of mucus, sore throat, a lot of fatigue. My physical last week showed no high blood pressure or other problems. I take one prescription for mild depression. My doctor who did the physical prescribed some cherritusson cough medicine with codeine and a non drowsy anti cough pill for my cold. I have only used the cherritusson to date.
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sub conjunctival hemorrhage

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This appears to be a sub conjunctival hemorrhage,though i would have been happier to see a photograph of the eye.
This has occurred due to persistent cough.
Ideally it needs no treatment and resolves a week on its own.As there are no synonyms and treatment is needed for appearence sake.
As you are taking cate of your cough,there is nothing else to be done.If the cough still persists,it takes longer for the hemorrhage to resolve.
Do get back to in case of any further query in this regard, preferably with a photograph.

Follow-up: What causes a bloodshot sclera in the left eye, severe cough and cold? 14 hours later
Thank you for your analysis. Should I need further help if this goes past a week or more, I will re-contact you with a picture using this case number.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sub conjunctival hemorrhage

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
There will hopefully be no need to contact us as by that time you will be well on the course of recovery.You are welcome anytime.