What causes a blocked sensation in the right ear?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello sir/madam,
I have been feeling some minor block in my right ear. I visited expert and as per audiometry test n inside visual, everything is fine. But, when tuning fork is set to mid of my forehead, I don't hear it in the right ear.
Request for the suggestion what may be the possibility behind it and what should be done next.
thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
As you are saying there is no loss on audiometry but you feel blockage, it means the conductive mechanism is fine and neither there is any neural loss. So this is possibly eustachian tube functional blockage causing middle ear increase in pressure and hence blockage.
Please tell me did you suffer from any nasal congestion or throat infection in the recent past?
Also send me your audiometry report.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 12 minutes later
thanks, mam.
no throat infection, but snoring problem is there for last 3months which wasn't there earlier. audiogram is attached along with prescription.
rgs,
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
The audiometry says hearing is normal but the consultation slip attached has results written for tuning fork examination which suggest some neural loss. So my advise is to get audiometry repeated from some another audiologist as both tests shows contradictory results.
Snoring is a sign of airway obstruction. If this obstruction is in the nasal region, it can cause eustachian tube functional blockage also. Please get a Xray paranasal sinuses done and send me the pictures.
Start taking an oral decongestants and nasal decongestant drops for few days.
Also take steam inhalation.
Follow up with the reports.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 19 hours later
Mam, thanks for the points. I will get the X-ray done and will share. I'm asked to use fluticasone nasal spray too along with prescribed medication.
if it is Eustachian tube blockage, how it may be solved?
rgs,
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
Eustachian tube can be decongested with medicines. The nasal spray will decongest nasal mucosa and eustachian tube functional blockage will be released. The x-ray report will tell us any nasal disease that will be dealt accordingly.
Please follow up with the reports.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj