What causes a black stool and diarrhea?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What causes a black stool? Some direa. Condition has occurred for the past 3 or 4 days.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding in gastrointestinal tract can cause it.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, I would like to inform you that black stool can be due to bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract.
It should be properly investigated and treatment should be started.

Following investigations may be helpful :-
1. Stool examination.
2. Endoscopy.
3. Colonoscopy.
4. Hemoglobin levels.

I would advise that you should take an antacid like Omeprazole 40mg once a day before meals. This will help if bleeding is from Upper GI Tract.
Further medical management can be planned after knowing the reports of the above mentioned investigations.

Following precautions will be helpful :-
1.Avoid spicy and oily foods.
2.Avoid being empty stomach for long periods.
3.Avoid mental and emotional stress.
4.Avoid smoking and alcohol, if any.
5.Avoid self medications, especially pain killers and steroids.
6.Drink lots of water daily.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D