What causes a black spot on the tongue?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I noticed a single black spot this morning on my tongue which was not there last when I brushed my teeth. I took carafarte liquid last night . What could be the cause
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tongue lesion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Black spot on tongue can be a sign of vitamin deficiency. It is not related to sucralfate ingestion.
Please send me the pictures of your lesions so that I can suggest you better. As the lesion is asymptomatic and you have noticed it recently, my advise is don't do anything and observe for next few days. If there is any development of symptoms or any increase in size or number than it must be examined.
Take a multivitamin supplement. Avoid smoking or any tobacco usage.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Report Attached
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tongue lesion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have seen your picture
If there is any jagged tooth on that side please visit a dentist and get it treated.
Apply candid mouth paint 3 to 4 times a day
Take tablet vitamin c once daily
hexidine mouth wash
Nothing else is required at the moment.
Any further questions or doubts are always welcome
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D