What causes a black spot on the palm of the hand?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 23 May 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,
I've got a black spot on my left palm all of a sudden. I didn't have it yesterday, but it looks like birthmark. I'm 30 years old. Is it normal or do I need to consult my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. This is odd and I would not consider it to be 'normal'. However, it is possibly not something to worry about. I would insist you to upload an image based on which I could guide you whether you need to go to a doctor. Chances are that you would not need to visit a doctor.

I would wait for your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 50 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
I,ve uploaded a picture as per your request. Please let me know if you need any further information.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hyperpigmented nevus

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have checked the attached images. It seems to be a hyperpigmented nevus. It is harmless and not a cause for concern.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 41 hours later
Thank you doctor. Is it common to have these kind of spots? How can I prevent it from occuring in future? Will it be in wnyway linked to skin cancer?
Brief Answer:
If the shape and size varies, a deeper look would be needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Although I would not term it as 'normal', it is indeed possible to get such spots. There is no way you can prevent them from occurring. Skin cancer would need to be considered as a possibility if the lesion varies in shape and size. In such a case you would have to seek opinion from a dermatologist (by visiting him).

Limiting the exposure to UV rays can help in preventing skin cancers.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T