What causes a black discoloration at the vaginal opening?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I noticed dark almost black discoloration at the opening of my vagina it's actually just inside tne opening at the bottom there is no pain or lumps no strange smell or discharge I am 45 years old I can't find anything about this on the internet can I get an position please I'm very fearful
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will need to ask some questions first...

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question and I am happy to help.

I have the following questions for you:

1. Have you had intercourse any time in the last couple of days?
2. If you have had intercourse, was it painful?
3. Are there any symptoms at all?
4. Are you willing to attach a picture?

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 minutes later
Yes I have had intercourse there was no pain at all not willing to submit a photo

Also no symptoms at all no pain no discharge or smell
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mosy likely related to intercourse...

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the followup information. I can provide you with a reasonable answer even without a picture. There are two things that come to mind with what you are describing:

1. The most likely explanation is related to intercourse. Even though it was not painful, there is increased blood flow to the vaginal / vulvar area and even with mild bumping of the area there can be slight bleeding under the skin. This would look like the discoloration that you are describing. If I am right, the area with fade over the next week. It would be helpful in sorting this out to avoid intercourse over the next week

2. Sometimes patients can have increased pigmentation in the area that you describe related to skin changes called 'dysplasia'. Given that this appeared so suddenly, the chance that this is the cause is extremely unlikely. It would be easy to sort out with an exam and possibly a biopsy.

For your reassurance, this does NOT sound like cancer and it does NOT sound like any typical STD. My recommendation to someone like you would be as follows:

1. An exam should be offered by your doctor for reassurance
2. If you defer contacting your doctor, avoid intercourse and observe the area for resolution. If it does not resolve within the next week, then schedule a visit with your doctor

I certainly hope that this helps!
Dr. Tim
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Thank you so much! Your answers have put my mind at ease! I made an appointment to have it checked out further
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are very welcome...

Detailed Answer:
Please come back and ask if there is any confusion.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee