What causes a BP reading of 145/90 in a 47 year old?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my blood pressure is 145 over 90. Another time it was 160 over 110. I always had normal to low bp so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm a 47 yr old female weighing 85 lbs and 4 ft 5 inches.

What am I at risk for?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that isolated episodes of high blood pressure do not indicate uncontrolled high blood pressure.

You should know that these spikes in blood pressure can be related to physical or emotional stress, coffee intake or spicy food.

Coming to this point, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values frequently during the day in sitting position, after 10minutes of total relax. You should write those values down.

If your blood pressure values are most of the time above the normal ranges (140/90 mm Hg), you should consult with your doctor for a careful physical exam and some tests to investigate for the possible underlying causes:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- PCR, ESR for inflammation
- blood electrolytes
- fasting glucose
- kidney and liver function tests.

If all your blood lab tests result normal and your blood pressure values are persistently high, I would recommend discussing with your doctor on the possibility of starting antihypertensive therapy.

You should know that uncontrolled high blood pressure is a known cardio-vascular risk factor, which means that it causes atherosclerosis and narrowing of blood vessels, leading to increased risk for stroke or heart attack.

But, isolated episodes of high blood pressure (like the values that you mention) do not impose you at any risk and do not need any treatment.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri