What causes Still's disease?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Cancer
Question: My granddaughter was diagnosed with Still's Disease last month. She was in the hospital for more than 3 weeks due to pain and swelling of her joints. She has been out of the hospital for a week. Her last blood tests last week were fine except for Ferritin of >2200. How significant or serious is this?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not of great significance

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Ferritin high can signify two things, iron overload or a chronic inflammation. In her case, iron overload is not likely as she must have not received prolonged iron supplements or many blood transfusions. So it is likely a marker of ongoing inflammation due to still's disease.

It is likely to come down over the next few months as the disease gets controlled.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad