What causes RBC and excess protein in urine?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: what does it mean if I have dysmor
pic red cells in urine and protein.
protein in urine is .37g over 24hrs
blood tests are normal, blood pressure 117/69 but on medication 10mg
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Findings may be due to renal calculus.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your reports and query in detail.
Your reports suggests RBC in urine (hematuria)and excess protein in urine(proteinuria).
Normal 24 hour protein excretion should be less than 80 milligrams per day.

Blood in urine may be due to many reasons like calculus,infection,tumour,trauma etc.
In other queries you mentioned about renal calculus.Hematuria may be due to renal calculus.
It is important to know size and position of calculus.
Excess protein may also be due to renal calculus.However,it is important to exclude other causes of excess protein excretion like glomerulonephritis etc.

You need proper clinical examination.
You need other investigations like routine hemogram,Random blood sugar,Renal function test(urea,creatinine,creatinine clearance,GFR,serum sodium,potassium,calcium,bicarbonate,chloride,phosphate),ultrasound of abdomen.
CT Scan of abdomen can be done if needed.

Treatment depend upon findings.
You should consult nephrologist.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 34 minutes later
ive had all major blood tests done including the ones u have mentioned all came back normal even all immune blood tests, only c-reactive protein slightly elevated.
had c t scan all normal had .02mm kidney stone and a 1.2mm simple cyst
everything in ct scan was intact
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

You have very small renal calculus and cyst.
Kidney calculus and simple cyst in kidney are not related to your symptoms.
Proteinuria may be due to history of chronic hypertension.You should consult your nephrologist.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX