What causes PMS symptoms with negative UPT?

Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hi
My last period was XXXXXXX 30 for 4 days. I had pms symptoms last week but no period this week. 2 pregnancy tests were negative. Is it too early to tell?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 3 hours later
No, not too early. I'm assuming that July 30 should've been your next period? You need to get to OB/GYN to get an ultrasound and see what's going on. Are you performing the pregnancy tests correctly?

Follow-up: What causes PMS symptoms with negative UPT? 14 hours later
My last period was XXXXXXX 30 for 4 days. I had PMS symptoms last week but didnt get my period this week. Took 2 prevnancy tests and both were negative. Today i started bleeding but the first bit looked thicker and browner. Now its red. Could this be my period or implantion bleeding?

Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible pregnancy but unlikely w/2 neg tests

Detailed Answer:
Good evening. My name is Dr. Saghafi and I am happy to answer your question.

Given the dates of your last period as being the end of XXXXXXX if we run some rough calculations then, ovulation should've been around mid July. We assume the window of viability as being approximately one week before and one week after that point since ovulation could occur earlier than calculated. So, it is possible that what you are experiencing now be bleeding of implantation.

BUT- the fact that you had two negative pregnancy tests I would say the likelihood of there being a pregnancy at this point is low. but, of course, it is not zero.

it also depends on when you did your pregnancy tests. The Fact of the matter is a pregnancy is not easily detected by home testing until at least the date of your first missed period. Therefore, if you did the pregnancy tests anytime before July 30 or whenever you were actually expecting your period you may have done them too early.

On the other hand, I don't know if you may have also used what are called the early pregnancy tests or EPT's. Those have a high degree of sensitivity for pregnancies even as early as five days prior to a missed period.

Therefore, at this time my recommendation would be that if the pregnancy tests that you did were exactly on or just prior to when you would've expected your menstruation to begin then, wait one more week and redo the test.

The other possibility is you may have had a spontaneous abortion which would explain the somewhat atypical bleeding that you're having which doesn't quite fit your usual period.

if I have answered your question satisfactorily then, it would be a great favor if you would return some written feedback as well as a star rating so that I can know how well I answered your questions.

I would also be appreciated if you would close the query on your side if there are no more questions so that the network me know if we have completed this transaction satisfactorily for referencing and filing purposes.

I wish you well and hope everything turns out for you.

This consultation required 25 minutes of physician specific time for review, research, and final draft documentation for envoy.