What causes Lichen sclerosis?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 23 Apr 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have lichen scherzos is which I check on a couple of times a week. About a month or so ago I noticed that there were some dark lines on my labia (majors, I think). I am going to the ob/gyn this afternoon but wondered how worried I should be. There is no pain or itching. I would never have known if I didn't do a regular check of the area. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need a biopsy and should take it seriously. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns. Lichen sclerosis can cause itching at your labia, even though it is not present at the moment. Also it causes scarring of labia that may make coitus, urination, and defecation painful. Rarely can it lead to cancer. But first we need to confirm that the dark lines on your labia are indeed lichen. I will advise a biopsy of the area. Follow up with me with the reports. If positive we have to start local steroid creams as the disease can be progressive even if it is not giving you any immediate trouble. Feel free to consult me directly http://bit.ly/drsombiswas Regards Dr. Som Biswas M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj