What causes Knock knees?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My sister aged 75 and having fought cancer for past 2 years has made journey from Australia to XXXXXXX I was shocked to see her condition and notice that she seems to have developed knock knees which may explain the frequent recurrence of falls over the past 5 years causing many serious knocks to the head with resulting lacerations and a broken upper arm which is causing her a lot of pain and reduced mobility. Yours in shock! XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should look for primary cause of knock knees first...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry to hear about the health condition of your sister.

Knock knees (genu valgum) is when the knees angle in and touch one another when the legs are straightened.

Treatment depends on the primary reason that caused it. In your sister's case, cancer itself and/or medications she might have used during chemotherapy or radiation might have caused alterations in her bones structure.

Multivitamins supplements are recommended together with further check ups like x-ray if the knee, bone density testing, measuring the levels of calcium, vit d, and a complete electrolytes balance.

The other treatment include orthopedic exercises to strengthen the muscles walls and help strengthen the joint. However, if bone density and structure is comprised, then orthopedist to consult for best treatment strategy.

All the best and God bless.
Dr.Albana