question-icon

What causes HIV?

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

I was in carribean island and I have a suspicious that this cleaning lady might have put something into my drink like juice. I am thinking blood can hiv be transmitted this way. i also observed my tooth brush was dirty and I threw that one away. I already have herpes i and 2 and I am really tired all the time. I got bloodtest done before when i was diagnosed with herpes and hiv test was negative.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You won't get HIV by drinks.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. You won't get HIV by contaminating drinks with HIV. HIV virus is so fragile to stay outside the body. It only spread by direct contact or blood transfusion.

If this still bothers you then get a PCR and Antigen test to make yourself sure that you are free from HIV. Even after this you have anxiety then approach a psycologist for counselling.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Nishad BN