question-icon

What causes Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Posted on Sat, 16 May 2015
Question: When I have a fever, my legs become paralyzed. I fall to the floor and can't get up.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (17 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
?? Strongly suspecting a condition called GBS

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I strongly suspect a condition quite rare and unique called Guillain-Barre syndrome.

This is a condition in which the nerves throughout the body, especially the limbs are affected, and is usually triggered by an infection. When the infection sets in, the nerves that are affected dysfunction.

This can be associated with your presentation of the appearance of a fever (seen with infections), resulting in weakness of the nerves and sudden paralysis of the nerves of your limbs. The lower limbs are also more often affected in GBS.

Please visit a doctor at the earliest for a blood examination, cerebrospinal fluid sample, and electrodiagnostic tests. A physician usually treats the condition, but a neurivascular specialist can also be called in to review your case. Please do not neglect yourself any further, as this is a progressive condition and it usually goes from the lower limbs upwards towards the centre and then involves the neck, back, head, etc.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan