What causes Cold Urticaria?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Sir, Since last 6 to 8 months I am suffering from Cold Urticaria. When ever I come across cold weather my skins starts itching, swelling and red bumps. The red bump and itching goes out after half an hour itself. Last week I went to some resort and I did swimming in cold water, suddenly my whole body becomes red, complete swelled and itching, I couldn't able to breath properly and feel like I fall down. I have consulted many Dermatologist and currently I am taking below medicines. 1. Pru Tab 10 2. Patadin Tab 5mg. 3 years ago I was in Mumbai, at that time I had the same issue but due to hot weather. I consulted doctor and he prescribed some steroids and also told me not to have beer or alcohol. After this medication I was fine, had no any itching issues. But again in Bangalore it started. Does Beer or Alcohol can cause Urticaria? Kindly advise and recommend proper medicine that can cure Urticaria. Thank You XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query Urticaria is an allergic condition. Anything including food, cloth, change in climate, pollens etc can cause urticaria. It is said anything under the sun including the sun can cause urticaria. You need to find out the cause. Treatment can be with oral anti histamines. Steroids like prednisolone are also helpful but cannot be used for long. However any type of medication can give you only symptomatic relief. Please try to find out the causative agent by yourself and try to avoid them. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Wishing you a good health. Thank you