What causes Callus?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 19 Apr 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have calises on my feet and they seem to be getting worse what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: paring and maintainence Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Callus is a thickening of the skin that occurs due to pressure and friction being applied to that particular area. Most commonly related to the shoes worn. You would need to change the causative shoes to prevent recurrence after you are able to treat the present calluses Treatment: (1) if the area is very thick and/or uncomfortable then you need to consider paring. This is trimming down of the lesion. This is done by a podiatrist. (2) once the area has been trimmed down then you would need to keep it in this state by soaking the feet for 20 to 30 minutes followed by the use of pumice stones or emery paper. This can be done once weekly (3)reduce the friction by the use of padding in shoes or shoes that do not exert pressure on the affected areas