question-icon

What causes BP of 98/60 with low blood sugar level?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014
Question: My brother has a 98 over 60 blood pressure reading this morning and yesterday he was clammy and had symptoms of low blood sugar. Should he be seen by an emergeny physician?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Re-check BP and consider ED.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. From the information you have provided, your brother may be developing an infection. It would be impossible to say what type of infection without further investigation. The low blood pressure is slightly concerning especially as he is on blood pressure meds.
I suggest checking his blood pressure again. If it is still low then a visit to the ED would be advisable. In the meantime, encourage him to drink plenty of water to maintain hydration. Take paracetamol if he is feverish.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA
Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist