What cause swelling in the testicle and head of penis?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: My girl friend and I had gonorrhea both went and got treat about 3 months ago I noticed swelling a little over a month ago in my ball than the second ball started to swell and the tip of the penos how do they treat that?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide more details

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I have also reviewed the Images. I can't really appreciate any obvious/ gross swelling in this Image, however, if you feel that there is some/ little swelling you should get yourself examined by a physician/ venereologist. Associated symptoms like pain, tenderness, urethral discharge could be a clue to the diagnosis.

I would like to gather some more details from you in order to be able to guide you better..

Is there pain at that site? Do you have any discharge per urethrum? If yes, whether it is pus or clear discharge?

Do you have fever?

Does you girlfriend also have any symptoms like vaginal discharge etc?

Is there any burning sensation on passing urine?

I would like to know the treatment which you received at that time when you and your girlfriend were diagnosed as Gonorrhea?

Any history of sexual contact after you were treated? Any history of sexual contact other than your girlfriend after treatment?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
I have no pain just discomfort. They gave us a shot and pills at the clinic after I pee its like a clear drip and also there is a discharge awkward smell no burning or pain when peeing no fever also
Also when I relax the swelling goes down in the balls
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Investigate by swab test; urine routine microscopy; treat for trichomonas

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Trichomonas infection or Mycoplasma hominis or ureaplasma urealyticum could be rare causes for clear discharge per urethra and discomfort in a male.

Since you have been supposedly treated for gonorrhea as well as chlamydia and moreover treatment for chlamydia usually covers for Mycoplasma or ureaplasma as well.
Therefore, I suggest that you take a course of Oral Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for 5 days to cover for trichomonas infection as well. Ignore it if you were already treated for it. You may ask your treating doctor whether you were treated for trichomonas as well.

Therefore I suggest you can take up a "Swab Test" from urethral discharge for any persisting chlamydial Or gonococcal infection.

I also suggest a Urine Routine Microscopy test.

If the swab test reveals a positive result for chlamydia and Or gonorrhea then you might need to re-treat for these infection, preferably with a different antibiotic from one which were used earlier.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Do I have to stay in the hospital for swollen balls and does the symptoms go away also can I buy the oral 400mg somewhere?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can talk to your treating doctor for a prescription of metronidazole

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

There is no need for hospital stay.
Metronidazole is a prescription drug and therefore I suggest that you talk to your doctor for the same.
You can share my discussion with him/ her.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 22 hours later
The pictures I uploaded does it look like gonorrhea?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gonorrhea is characterized by purulent urethral discharge

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Scrotal swelling is not a primary symptom of gonorrhea, however, it may be one of the complications of gonorrhea in those who are not treated adequately and timely.
Gonorrhea is characterized by urethral discharge which is purulent/ yellowish. The infection is usually associated with pain and burning sensation on passing urine.
In gonorrhea, smear made from urethral discharge reveals gram -ve intracellular diplococci.
To be XXXXXXX I cannot appreciate any urethral discharge Or significant scrotal swelling in this Image.
I don't think one can say that you have gonorrhea just by looking at this Image unless there is XXXXXXX purulent discharge per urethrum.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist