What cause profuse sweating while on anxiety medication?

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi. My name is xxxxxxx.
For years - for as long as I can remember, I sweat profusely - specifically & especially around my face. Many times so bad, I look like I just showered. This happens If the weather is freezing or if it's hot out. It happens if I am doing nothing, or simply working in the kitchen, or working hard. I was referred to a dermatologist once, with no results but some kind of anxiety pill - thinking it was just stress related. Nothing changed. Then I read about thyroid on WebMD. My older sister took a thyroid pill for something for 50 years. Could my sweating be something that my thyroid is responsible for!!? Can it be tested? Thanks for any advice.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, thyroid function should be checked.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
If course the thyroid function should be tested in every case with exessive sweating.
The fact that you have a sister with thyroid problems , increases the probability.
Check TSH, Ft4 and Ft3 and try to attach the result.
Will be a pleasure to help you further to interpret the results and guide for further examinations if needed.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 12 hours later
Thank you.
What are TSH, Ft4 and Ft3? Do I request that my doctor order these tests?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid hormones;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

These tests are needed to check the thyroid function.

I do not know how does it function in your country but I think a general physician is needed to prescribe them. So, yes, please request your doctor to order these tests.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 18 days later
nothing has changed.
no thyroid issues detected in tests
so the same sweating issues exist that I've fought for years and years.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Botox is suggested;

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!
If there is no medical condition causing it and it affects your daily life, i would suggest to treat it with Botox injections or Botulinum toxine, (the face, underarms and the palm of the hands). It is FDA approved and does not have side effects.
It is very effective but is temporary (may need treatment every 6 months to one year).
You should discuss with your dermatologist and explain him/her that anxiolitixs do not work. So the next step will be Botox injections.
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist