What cause pain behind breastbone with normal angiogram report?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi ,
If you look at my last question I said I was getting painful feeling behind my breastbone, only 3 months after a normal angiogram. They seem to be getting worse and are waking me from sleep.quite uncomfortable feeling. What could this be? I live very isolated so it is very hard for me to get to a doctor. Should I just ignore them?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a muscular pain

Detailed Answer:
The painful feeling behind the breast bone is likely to be a muscular pain as your recent angiogram is normal. The sudden onset while sleeping is not likely to be due to a cardiac related cause.
This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg. You can also do a hot fomentation in the area for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal