Owl Image

What cause cough with pain on upper back and heaviness in chest?

Owl Image
Dr. Albana Sejdini

Question
I started with a bad cough and pain on each side of my upper back. next day i felt heaviness in my chest, could hear wheezing when i breathed. Wheezing has subsided but i still feel heaviness in chest ,back and shoulder pain and and extreme fatigue. I have been running a low grade fever and feel headachy. I have been taking Ibuprofen and mucinex. My back and shoulder pain and headache subsides when I take the Ibuprophen. If i exert any energy I feel shortness of breath. I feel a little better in the morning if I sleep sitting up.
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bronchitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

They symptoms you are reporting are indicative for virosis complicated with bronchitis. I am happy that wheezing has subsided. It is a sign of narrowing of lungs' airways.

I advise to:
- drink plenty of fluids (water, juice, soups, etc.)
- aerosol therapy will help open up your airways. You can do it at home by preparing water and salt with chamomile tea and inhale the steam.

Or you can use a machine for aerosol therapy by inhaling saline twice daily. It will help reduce the heaviness in the chest and wheezing.

- sleep with 2 pillows at night to ease breathing
- continue medications you are already taking (mucinex, zyrtec, ibuprofen and emergen c)

I also advise to consult with your doctor as soon as possible to exclude pneumonia for which, you might need to start a course of antibiotics.

Wish speedy recovery!
Dr.Albana