What casues vertigo?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Dec 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had the following condition since 9 years. In the beginning it was tolerable and I was able to live with this condition but since middle of this year (2014) the condition is worsening – I’ve had 2 dizziness and nausea spell at home which went away after sometime. But few backs I had a very acute VERTIGO attack while driving.

Pressure tightness cramp build slowly up from inside the chest sometime abdomen then spread to my right side and move to lower jaw - I have face pressure forehead, behind nose and a sharp pressure from my forehead down to my top front teeth.

I can’t wear glasses anymore because the moment they touch my nose bridge the cramps/tightness/pressure becomes acute in my forehead – right between mt eye area and then right side of face and moves around.

Total hearing loss in right ear with buzzing/hissing sound.

Cramps are gone when sleeping and slowly gain strength as I wake up and start doing chores.

Lately Dizziness occurs – with loss of balance.

Driving increases the dizziness/cramps/tightness.

Lately had an acute Vertigo attack while driving – luckily I was able to park and was taken to ER vomiting and nauseous – unable to walk. ER diagnosed it as Acute Vertigo Attack.

Since then (last 2-3 weeks) I am driving on side streets only carefully – few times I’ve had the dizziness feeling with loss of focus and heavy beating and fast heart beat (like panic attack) which goes away after I focus on sky or some distant object and driving with only peripheral vision.

I really need help – I am self-employed and need to drive to make a living.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need detailed evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and it is unfortunate that a definite diagnosis has not been made even after nine years of symptoms.

There are mainly two broad categories of illness that we need to look a: ear-related and brain-related.

You would need an ENT as well as a neurological evaluation. After that, you would require audiometry, vestibular function tests and MRI of brain.

Common causes include Meniere's disease, vestibular migraine and cerebellar disease. Most of these problems can be treated with medications.

As of now, you can take betahistine tablets to prevent/treat vertigo/dizziness.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 hours later
Thank you Dr. Kumar!

I am in US and will Share this opinion with my primary Doctor.

Will update you with tests etc. as they are conducted.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Would be pleased to review the reports.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back..

Would be pleased to review your reports, and follow your doctor's opinion.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)