What casues tingling in legs and arm after taking Lo Loestrin Fe?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I'm 39 and was recently prescribed the bcp Lo Loestrin Fe to alleviate irregular and highly painful periods. I took my first pill Thursday and another yesterday. I woke up yesterday with a 'pins and needles' feeling in my left leg (particularly the foot) and my left arm. As the day progressed, it got better and by late afternoon, it was gone. I woke up this morning with the same sensation over much of my body, but my right arm felt like it was asleep. I got up and moved around and shook my arm. Now it just feels like the pins and needles feeling again. The feeling affects different areas of my body at different times now, like it's traveling. I was not having this prior to starting the pill, and can't find this listed as a side effect. Numbness is listed, but that would be associated with a blood clot which this would not be. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

What you are having is definitely a side effect of the drug if it started suddenly after taking the drug and was not there before.

Some rare side effects are not listed but it definitely sounds like one.

Stop the drug and see if the numbness stops in a few days.

Feel free to consult me directly
http://bit.ly/drsombiswas

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX