What casues swelling at Methmorphine injection site?

Psychiatrist
Question
I missed the vein while injecting meth, a couple days later I smoked meth and the miss site swole up more is this normal?
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thrombo-phlebitis / Cellulitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Based on the symptoms that you have described and the picture of the swelling that you have sent, you appear to be having a "thrombo-phlebitis" (i.e. blockage and inflamation of the vein) along with an inflamation / infection of the underlying tissues ("cellulitis").

Treatment for this usually involves anti-inflamatory medication, antibiotics and local applications to reduce the swelling. Simple home remedies may not help much, but you can try gentle hot fermentation, keeping the affected arm elevated on pillows, taking adequate fluids and getting as much rest as possible. Avoid massaging or moving the arm frequently. In case you develp fever, chills or if the arm becomes red and warm, then it means that you are developing complications and you need immediate medical attention.

There is a risk that inflammation or infection could progress and if there is a blood clot still lodged in the vein, then there is also a risk that it can move to the heart or lungs. Therefore, if appropriate treatment is taken promptly, it will save you a lot of trouble later on. So, I would strongly recommend that you get yourself examined by your doctor and initiate proper medical treatment.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist