What casues severe pain through shoulder down the left arm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi, I am almost 2 weeks post c5-c7 with bone spur removal. I have been experiencing sharp shooting pains through my left shoulder, down my left arm and my left thumb is numb. Feels like my arm/shoulder is on fire and the pressure on the back of my neck is almost unbearable. Is this normal? I went back to ER 5 days after surgery and had another mri and doc says everything looks as it should. Im at a loss with this pain...
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nerve root block may help; do not lose hope

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. My suggestion for you are-1.Inspite of gabapentin(Neurotin) you may have pregablin as it has less side effect and more effective along with short course of cortisone.
2. You may wear soft cervical collar for the time being.
3. Nerve root /facetal joint block with drugs such as lidocaine/sensorcaine will be therapeutic as well as diagnostic role.
You may discuss about these possibilities with your treating doctor.
I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: What casues severe pain through shoulder down the left arm? 1 hour later
I do apologize, I left out one of the most important detail and that was FUSION from c5-c7. I have also had major swelling on the left side from neck to shoulder and to midline back with constant muscle spasms and it is warm to touch. I am currently wearing a hard collar.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Infection needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's good to see you.
After going through your reply, I would advise you to visit a local doctor to rule out the possibility of post operative Infection by having clinical examination along with blood test like complete blood count and CRP.
To reduce pain and swelling you may continue with Ice fomentation, pain killer, along with drug (prescription only) like-
1. Thiocolchicoside (muscle relaxant)
2.Trypsin/bromelin/rutoside to reduce swelling.
Wishing you early recovery and good health.