What casues random fever with body chills?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 in Infections
Question: I'm a 24 year old Caucasian Male. 5'5'', 135 lbs. This has been going on since February of this year.

Randomly, or seemingly at random, I will get fevers/chills. Sometimes they come on when I'm tired, sometimes in the middle of the day when I have peak energy. My head feels heavy, my low back/coccyx hurts, I cough a little, my skin feels flushed, and although most of the time my skin feels hot, sometimes I also run a 100-102 fever. I go from too hold to too cold very fast. I'm disoriented and my head feels like a bowling ball. I have to lay down alternating with the covers on and off. And then it's over in an hour.
I've gone to the doctor a few times for this, and each time he has said it's an ear infection or a sinus infection. Yes, I get seasonal allergies and this does feel like a sinus infection (dizzy, lethargic, pressure headaches behind the eyes, etc.) but getting them for only 1-2 hours? Afterwards I feel tired and usually fall asleep.
They occur usually once a month, but I am having one as I type this and just had one two nights ago. There's no pattern here.

Other things about me:

I am on Klonopin for anxiety. I take .5mg-1mg a day, and have been for 2 years.

I take Ranitidine 175mg every day for acid reflux/indigestion.

I take antihistamines daily.

I workout 5 times a week.

I eat healthy. Lean meats, protein, healthy fats, whole grain carbs. I even went vegan for 2 months this year.

I've recently had an allergy test. Everything came back fine except for a few things which I already knew (cats, horses, ragweeds)

I would love to know what this is so I can stop it. It's very annoying and honestly interferes with my work a lot. I have thought it could be anything from weird reactions to supplements (which I take none of now), to overtraining, to sinus infections, to exhaustion, to pulled muscles from sitting a computer all day.

It's driving me nuts. Thoughts? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get Thyroid function tests and CTscan of sinuses..

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query with an elaborate history. I will try my best to help you out with this problem.

You seem to be having multiple problems which needs to be sorted out one after the other.

1. The infrequent chills & rigors and the sensation of cold & clammy skin could be thyroid related. A complete assessment of the thyroid levels in the body will clear most of the doubts.

2. Allergic rhino sinusitis can give rise to frequent headaches because of blocking of the sinuses. 'Allergy does not have a cure' - prevention is the best treatment. To confirm the blocked sinuses and to look for any association of fungal infection a CT scan of paranasal sinuses is mandatory.

3. Blocked sinuses with retained secretions make the skull heavy and causes frequent headache. The retained secretions could be a source of frequent infections.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Do steam inhalation at least 3 times a day for 2 minutes.
3. Use a steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone or momentasone) regularly till the symptoms come under control. If things get better, then you can stop the oral antihistamine.
4. Instead of Ranitidine, try taking proton pump inhibitors (such as omeprazole or esomeprazole).
5. Allergy preventive measures such as:
a. Changing pillow cover every night before going to bed
b. Avoid sleeping under the fan or in front the air conditioner
c. Avoid chilled food/beverages/coffee
d. To cover the nose when exposed to dust or smoke

Consult your doctor and get the complete evaluation done. Revert back to me with the findings. I will look forward to help you in the best possible way.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Could my anti-anxiety medication Clonazepam be causing more mucous production? I will drink more warm water, and use my Fluticasone more often.

I've had thyroid tests before, they have all come back fine. The thing that worries me about these fever "flares" is that they are random. For instance, I was staying at a friends house for two WEEKS where they had a lot of pets. Sure, my sinuses were blocked but I took antihistamines and NEVER had a flare. I am back home now, and don't have any pets. No allergens in the house (I use a HEPA Filter). And yet, I've had two "flares" in 3 days.

That's what is confusing to me, the randomness of it all.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clonazepam does not increase the secretions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Clonazepam will not increase the production the secretions. But long term use of the medicine can make you feel week, recurrent feverish episodes, muscle pain, nasal stuffiness, etc.

Secondly, the random flares could also be secondary to the recurrent sinus infections. The intensity of infection can be assessed by the CT scan of the paranasal sinuses. Also, fungal sinusitis has to be ruled out.

Finally, please continue with the nasal sprays I'm sure you will feel better soon.

Wish you good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T