What casues non-stop hiccups?
Following causes to Non-stop hiccup...
I have gone through the medical history of your husband and feel sorry for the fastidious situation he is in.
There are many causes to hiccups:
- reflux/GERD : aggravated by the weight loss programme he is following
- neurological issues
- demyelination of frenulum nerve of the diaphragm
- ingesting lots of gas (aerophagia): carbonated drinks, quick eating
- alcohol drinking
I suggest to :
- do upper endoscopy and pH study to exclude reflux or upper GI problems
- consult with neurologist
- chest X-ray
- cardiac tests: ECG, stress test, echocardiogram
With regards to treatment, I advise to:
- do Valsava manouver: deep breathing (through nostrils), keep breath and then breathe out through mouth
- chlorpromazin and other benzodiazepines can be added to the treatment
Wish fast recovery! Let me know if I can assist you further!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes hiccups persistent hiccups
- When are hiccups non stop dangerous
- Non stopping hiccups what is the problem
- How to stop hiccups
- Non stop hiccups and heartburn
- What fruit is best to stop hiccups
- Clarithromycin hiccups stop
- Heart murmur and non stop hiccuping
- Does benadryl stop hiccups
- Non stop hiccups in patients with hiv