What casues eustachian tube dysfunction?

Posted on Mon, 19 May 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Ok...I am thinking out of the box. I have ETD - EUSTACHIAN TUBE DYSFUNCTION. I know this is true because I was on a plane a few weeks back and after the plane pressurized I could hear so well, better than ever. But the plane touched down and my ears returned to their current 4 month status. It continues to feel like two water balloons over my ears.

My ENT Specialist has done nothing after many hundreds of dollars. Just put me on Fluticasone spray but no help. Afrin does a better job only I know I cannot take this every day.

I have requested all the Doctors Notes including audiogram, HPI, diagnoses, ROS, etc. After I get them I would like to send them to you to review. I will take whatever advise you recommend.

Update.....
Periodically I cough up this water insoluble flem like glue. I am thinking that is what is in my Eustachian tubes but how can this be explored?

You rpovided many recommendations. Should I do #2 first?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
eustachian tube dysfunction.

Detailed Answer:

I am unsure if you addressed this question to a specific doctor. But since the query is not addressed for a while, I shall take this opportunity to answer. I believe I can help you as well.

Analyzing your symptoms , I feel probably you have effusion in both middle ears. Water filled balloon feeling is because of fluid in the middle ear and yes the cause is definitely eustachian tube dysfunction. This can be diagnosed clinically and by impedance audiometry. Please upload the reports and I shall review it.

As far as treatment is concerned, decongestant tablet and nasal drops for a week might work. If it doesn't reduce then I recommend my patients to consider myringotomy with ventilation tube insertion for the drainage.This ventilation tube will also help in equalising pressure in middle ear caused because of ET dysfunction. However the current permanent treatment which is assuring, as far as my knowledge, is only endoscopic balloon eustachian tuboplasty; wheres they enlarge the ET tube opening using a balloon, under endoscopic guidance.
Along with this you are also treated with decongestant, antihistamine, steroid nasal spray for about 2 weeks.

Cough is not from the ET tube, it is from throat or lungs.

So I advise you to consult doctor , and discuss the grommet insertion and balloon tuboplasty with him.

Send me the reports for further discussion. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist