What casues difficulty in swallowing after an episode of vomiting?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello Doctor,

after vomiting for 2-3 times, I got a little lain in my XXXXXXX apple.

when try to swallow saliva or water I feel difficuilty like something is chocked in my throat.

Please advice.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Spasm of muscles.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
This is a very typical problem, rare albeit.

You have started with the vomiting, which might have been a bit violent.
While vomiting all the muscles are involved including the ones in the neck, internal and external. The ones connected with the Adam's apple get inflamed or swollen or
into spasm. All this has caused a problem you are facing; the typical difficulty like something is chocked in throat.

The resultant stress adds-on the problem.
So first of all get relaxed, take deep breath. stop taking anything orally , give it a time to relax and settle.

I hope within sometime this should start getting resolved. If not you may go for ER and injection like Diclofenac, antiemetic if nausea or vomiting continues to avoid further spasm.