• question-icon

What cases memory loss while having stress?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I live in FL, my daughter is 27 and for the last year & 1/2 has worked in Sitka Ak. She works with at risk children up to 18 some are court ordered all are natives. She is a collage grad and is also certified in many outdoor things. Part of her responsibilities are going out in the wilderness on expeditions camping for 8 days along with other counselors. and 12 to 15 kids. Her employer is called S E A C H recently there was some drama and trauma in the dorms and the administration did not back her and the staff up and they had a hard time of it. Shortly after this stressful event her boyfriend started to point out that she did not remember things they did the night before. She has gone to XXXXXXX and had some f testing although she has not received the results they now want her to take a three day test in order to be able to take a medical leave. Sitka is a island and she has to fly back and forth. S E A C H is taking the position that this is not work related. I would value your thoughts on this short term memory loss.
XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stress is most likely cause

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description It can be interpreted that stress is the most likely cause for her short term memory loss.

It is normal for any person to have decreased attention after/during stressful event and it is not something which can be considered serious. As the time passes like most other individuals she will be able to cope her stream of thoughts and will improve in regard to short term memory loss and inattention.

The reason for speculating this reason is that she is just 27 year old and no positive history present which can substantiate the current observation.

However I must acknowledge that psychological testing will make the things very clear.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist