What cases bluish bruise on foot after an injury?

Rheumatologist
Question
I hit the top of my right foot on the corner of the rocking chair. There is a bluish / brown bruise developing about 2 inches from the base of my fourth toe. The bruise is 2.5 inches across my foot. I can walk on my foot - with pain- and can flex and point my toes. Is there any way to tell if it's broken? Also is it okay to go to sleep with it elevated. I'm not gonna die from a clot or anything? Right ? ;)
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that it is due to injury related and since you can flex your toes it is very less likely that there could be fracture but only way to confirm this is to get an X ray done .

Rest You can sleep with your leg elevated nothing will happen . You can also take naproxen 250 mg which is an antiinflammtory thus help in reducing swelling and pain. But in case the swelling increases you need to see a doctor for this .

Dr. Shruti