What can you interpret from blood and X-ray reports performed to identify the cause for chronic cough?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,
My wife is having cough for past 4-5 months. We have been to doctor many times and changed 3 doctors as well but, all of them says it is allergic cough and it will take time to go.

One of them suggested to get CBC test done and chest X ray done for which I am attaching the reports. Please have a look and let me know the interpretation of report.

Also, I am mentioning the medicines which my wife has taken in past 3-4 months as per doctor's advice. Please suggest the way forward as her cough is not getting away or rather getting worse. She vomited today while coughing as it was so bad. Please suggest.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic cough.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Chronic cough can be due to nasal causes or lung infection. In the CBC report, there is raised lymphocyte count. My advise is you should get a Mantoux test done and sputum examination for AFB done to rule out tuberculosis.

Also get a X-ray paranasal sinuses done to rule out any nasal pathology.

Follow up with the reports so that I can suggest you better.
Any further questions are always welcome.

Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 21 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply. Any comments from your side on xray report?
X ray report seems ok to me as a layman. Do you still feel she should go for montoux test? Also, she is having dry cough hence, there is no sputum coming in the cough.
Not sure if any of the medications tried till date were antibiotics or not. Would you recommend any antibiotics, if not taken earlier and before montoux test? I am asking this as my wife is a bit afraid of montoux test as described by the path lab person. Please suggest.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic cough.

Detailed Answer:

Any chronic cough must be investigated in terms of tuberculosis. X-ray changes may take time to appear. I have reviewed the x-ray. It is normal but still, I will suggest you go for Mantoux test.

But if you want to go for an antibiotic course, I would advise you to take tablet Amoxiclav and tablet Levocetirizine plus Phenylephrine.

Take steam inhalation.

All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only by prescription.

Take care and do update me about the response on antibiotics.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal, ENT Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee