What can you do for rectal pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Over the last 3 years I have had anal pain. I work in a job where is it down for most of the day but I do exercise three times a week.

In the first year of this happening I bled quite heavily two or three times doctors told me this is because of hemorrhoids. They did a blood test as well as an ultrasound and nothing else came up.

After the first year the pain kept coming and going sometimes weeks between sometimes months.

The pain sometimes gets that bad that it seems to almost spread to the front around my privates like a cramping Sensation but this does not last very long. This pain is almost always accompanied by a no pain just around the opening.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give details and post actual reports.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Please give some additional information for me to assist you better:
Have you ever been examined by per-rectal digital palpation and Ano-proctoscopy to know the exact problems and its extent?
Any other symptoms related to gastrointestinal system like pain in abdomen, bloating, nausea, vomiting, loose stools or hard stools?
Any urinary or any other complaints/symptoms?
Detailed information will help me more.
Awaiting.

Follow-up: What can you do for rectal pain? 17 minutes later
Thank you for quick reply.

I had a physical examination around two years ago that confirmed one small hemorrhoid. ( not an electronic examination)

I had an ultrasound that found nothing inside stomach to the right and left side.

I passed a large amount of blood three or four times within the first year but nothing since. ( pictures were shown to the doctor's but they were unconcerned as it was not a continuing problem)

I have had a stomach X-ray that confirmed constipation within the first year but since then constipation is cleared up and stools are often normal unless I am doing long distance travel to another country or under a lot of stress.

( as a side note in year 2 out of 3 I contracted a tapeworm in Japan and passed it with no problems I got follow up medication on my return to the UK to treat tapeworm in case the problem was still persistent)

The pain that I sometimes go through now is much less severe then it was one year ago and time between episodes seems to be getting longer two to three months usually.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
As explained.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
The history is suggestive of one or a combination of the following:
Fissure-in-ano is known to cause the pain the way you have explained; is recurrent and occurs due to constipation, stress, hard stools.
Hemorrhoids are basically the enlarged veins and can be associated with fissure as the causes are similar.
Both can co-exist.
Hence it is very necessary to get per-rectal digital examination, ano-proctoscopy and colonoscopy if indicated.
This alone can give the best possible diagnosis which is very important to have a proper plan of management.
Till then do the following:
Sitz bath in a tub with warm water.
Stool softeners and laxatives to keep the stools soft.
Try to identify the foods, factors and beverages that cause the symptoms and avoid these at any cost.
Get the stool tests done.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
And give follow-up too.

Follow-up: What can you do for rectal pain? 1 hour later
Fantastic reply ill get straight on what you have told me!

My last question is: you said they are the most likely causes of why I am having some discomfort is this still true for the cramping like pain around genitals? can this be a symptom of what you said?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
The pain around genitals can be due to the fissure in ano.
But the local causes will have to be/ will be examined by the Surgeon.
Also will be thought about prostatitis as a possible cause although the Ultrasonography has been normal as mentioned by you. Per-rectal digital examination will see for prostatitis.
So let us see the reports and evaluation.

I hope this answer helps you further.