What can lead to severe fatigue, intermittent shortness of breath and severe pain in the hips while sleeping?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have moderate to severe fatigue, intermittent SOB and a feeling like I cant catch my breath. My hips have a painful burning sensation when I sleep. I can not get to sleep and by the time I do, it's time to get up. Even when I sleep for 12 hrs. I am exhausted. It takes all my effort to get out of bed. Is this a medical prob. or am I in a state of depression? All my docs do for me is a Thyroid test which always comes back okay. My only HX is a Heart murmur. Fatigue for years, Desert storm vet.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About your concern:

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through your concern.

From your description, I would suggest checking the adrenal gland function.

Adrenal glands are responsible for cortisol production and a lack of cortisol is manifested with your symptoms.

You may discuss with your treating physician about Synacthen stimulation test to confirm the adrenal failure.

Hope the information will be helpful.

Dr. Mirjeta Guni, Endocrinologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng