What can lead to an occasional leakage of stool while passing gas?
Diagnosis: Fecal incontinence
Leakage of feces during passing gas is Fecal incontinence. There can be several underlying causes for fecal incontinence like diabetes, chronic constipation, loss of muscle tone around the rectum, rectal prolapse, rectocele (which is bulging of the rectum into vaginal) etc.
As you can see there are a variety of causes. Detailed pelvic and rectal examination, blood evaluation to rule out diabetes, neurological examination is needed at this point.
Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management.
Hope this answers your question.
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Gas bubbles in stool and burping
- What causes watery stools and gas when on neocate
- Gas white stringy stool
- Passing stool frequently gas in stomach
- Spraying stool when passing gas
- Difficulty passing stools gas breastfeeding at present
- Sticky stools and smelly gas
- Done stool test gas frequently passing stools loose stools
- Stinky gas and thin stool
- What is the treatment for gas and stringy stools