What can happen if an alcoholic is given Disulfiram?

Dr. Vishal Garala

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What can happen if an alcoholic is given disulfiram without his knowledge and the person keeps trying to drink on it? What breaks down in the body (enzymes?)? Does alcohol then go straight to the brain? And can it cause death/psychosis, etc.? Medically speaking--how does the alcohol affect someone who does not know they are being given it? The doctor says there is no test that can be given to prove the disulfiram is in the body. Why not???? We need a test. How can it it be that there is no test for it???????
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
hii dear it is alcoholic disulfiram reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I admire you for positive outlook
Very glad to see you
It is called alcohol disulfiram reaction

Usually in the body alcoho convert into acetic acid by enzyme alcoho dehydrogenase and further it convert into acetaldehyde by acetaldehyde dehydrogenase

Disulfiram inhibit this enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and due to that aacumalation of acetic acid occur in our body

Acetic acid is very toxic subastance cause reaction

That include nausea, vomiting, flushing, tachycardia, palpitaion, giddiness etc
some times cause hypotension, shock , coma , death etc

so it is must that without patient's knowledge it can not be given

it is usually given by writen consent

Specific instruction also given not to drink alcohol along with that

Disulfiram will stay in body upto 1 wk so it is unsafe to drink alcohol up to 1 wk after its last dose

Usually there is no any test because it is not necessary and its concentration is very difficult to measure
many drugs are undetectable beacuse we dont have such reagents to test it
Why we should have ?? Because itvis always to be given with information to the patient

It is one of the type of aversion therapy and very useful for chronic alcoholic

Will always here to help you
Feel free
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D